Are you looking for digital marketing statistics to learn from and grow your online business?
Keeping up with the latest changes and developments in the digital marketing industry can help you improve your strategies and stay ahead of the competition.
In this article, we’ll share a collection of up-to-date digital marketing statistics to help you understand the current trends, opportunities, and challenges in the ever-evolving digital landscape.
- Email Marketing Statistics
- Social Selling Statistics
- eCommerce Statistics
- Mobile Commerce Statistics
- SEO Statistics
- Content Marketing Statistics
- Social Proof Statistics
- Conversion Rate Optimization Statistics
Email Marketing Statistics
- 61% of consumers prefer to be contacted by brands through email. (Statista)
- Buyers spend 138% more when marketed via email as compared to those who don’t receive email offers. (Startup Bonsai)
- $44 is made in return for every $1 spent on email marketing, which equals a 4400% ROI. (Campaign Monitor)
- There are 4.3 billion email users worldwide. And this number is projected to reach 4.6 billion by 2025. (Statista)
- The daily number of emails sent in 2023 is forecasted to be around 347.3 billion. (Statista)
- Email marketing revenue is projected to be $10.89 billion by the end of 2023. (Statista)
- 41.5% of brands say email marketing is critical to their company’s success and brand awareness. (Litmus)
- Marketers’ most favored email category is newsletters, followed by welcome emails. (Litmus)
- Emails with graphics have a 1.12% higher click-through rate than emails without any. (GetResponse)
- Sales emails with 200-250 word length have the highest response rate of 19%. (Reply)
- 77% of B2B marketers utilize email marketing to drive sales and website visits. (SuperOffice)
- B2C email campaigns experience 8% more unique opens than B2B campaigns. (emfluence)
- Sending 3 abandoned cart emails results in 69% more orders than just one email. (Omninsend)
- Emails with personalized subject lines tend to generate 50% higher open rates. (Marketing Dive)
- 95% of marketing teams who use AI for email creation say it’s “effective,” and 54% rate it “very effective.” (HubSpot)
For more email marketing stats, read Top Email Marketing Statistics You Need to Know.
Additional Resources About Email Marketing:
- How to Run a Successful Email Marketing Campaign (Step-by-Step Guide)
- Brilliant Email Marketing Examples and Why We Love Them
- Proven Tips on How To Get More Email Subscribers
- Best White Label Email Marketing Software
Social Selling Statistics
- 78% of online businesses that use social selling outperform those that don’t. (LinkedIn State of Sales Report)
- Social selling provides 45% more sales opportunities than traditional sales. (LinkedIn)
- Salespersons who use social selling close 40-50% more new business than those who don’t. (Sales for Life)
- IBM boosted its sales by 400% by implementing a social selling program. (IBM)
- 75% of B2B buyers utilize social networks (like Facebook and Instagram) to be more informed about vendors they’re interested in. (Startup Bonsai)
- About 70% of sales professionals use social selling tools for lead generation. (Small Biz Genius)
- There are 4.9 billion social media users across the globe as of 2023. (Demand Sage)
- 49.6% of online users between the ages of 16 and 24 prefer to use social media platforms for online brand research. (Hootsuite)
- 39% of B2B professionals say social selling reduces their lead search time, and 33% say it increases their leads. (Small Biz Genius)
For more social selling stats, read Top Social Selling Statistics (Includes Social Media Marketing!).
Additional Resources About Social Selling:
- How to Increase Sales With Social Media
- Best Social Media Platforms for Business
- Email Marketing vs. Social Media: Is There a Clear Winner?
- Social Media Marketing Tools That Will Give You an Unfair Advantage
- By the end of 2023, the eCommerce industry will generate $6.51 trillion globally. (Statista)
- By 2026, the eCommerce market is projected to reach over $8.1 trillion. (Statista)
- 24% of retail purchases are expected to take place online by 2026. (Statista)
- 20.8% of retail sales are expected to take place online in 2023. (Oberlo)
- China is the largest eCommerce market globally, generating almost 50% of the world’s transactions. (International Trade Administration)
- Digital/mobile wallets accounted for roughly half of the eCommerce payment transactions globally. This share is set to increase to over 53% in 2025. (Statista)
- Nearly 9 out of 10 (88%) consumers read reviews when discovering a local business. (Podium)
- 52% of eCommerce consumers worldwide consider sustainability important. (GFK)
For more eCommerce stats, read Useful eCommerce Stats You Must Know.
Additional Resources About eCommerce:
- How to Launch a Successful Ecommerce Site: Tips & Tools
- Best WordPress eCommerce Plugins
- Online Shopping Statistics You Need to Know
- Actionable and Proven Tips to Increase Your eCommerce Conversion Rate
Mobile Commerce Statistics
- Mobile commerce sales are projected to exceed $510 billion in 2023 and $710 billion in 2025. (Tidio)
- 43% of Cyber Monday sales come from mobile devices. (Adobe)
- As of 2023, there are 7.33 billion mobile phone users in the world. This means that 91.21% of people in the world are cell phone owners. (BankMyCell)
- Mobile devices have a 49.8% market share over digital purchases compared to desktops. (Zippia)
- 91% of people make online purchases using their smartphone. (Pew Research)
- Mobile commerce alone is expected to make up 44% of all eCommerce sales by 2024. (Insider Intelligence)
- More than 61% of Google Search visits come on mobile devices. (Statista)
- Over 90% of mobile phone users check their smartphones within the first hour of waking up. (Gitnux)
Additional Resources About Mobile Commerce:
- Mobile Marketing: Actionable Tips You Need to Know
- Best Mobile Payment Solutions For Your eCommerce Business
- How to Determine (& Improve) Mobile eCommerce Conversion Rates
- How to Build Your SMS (Text) Marketing List (EASY Ways)
- More than half (53.3%) of web traffic comes from organic searches. (BrightEdge)
- 60% of marketers consider inbound strategies (like SEO, blog content, etc.) as their highest quality source of leads. (HubSpot)
- SEO generates 1,000%+ more traffic compared to organic social media. (BrightEdge)
- Search engine optimizations (SEO) leads have a closing rate of 14.6%. (HubSpot)
- The top three results on Google’s search page get 54.4% of all clicks. (Backlinko)
- 39% of buyers are influenced by a relevant search when making a purchase. (Think With Google)
- There are approximately 3.5 billion daily searches conducted on Google. (Internet Live Stats)
- 28% of searches for local businesses result in a purchase. (Think With Google)
- 50% of search queries consist of 4 or more words (WordStream)
- “Where to buy” and “near me” mobile queries have experienced a growth of over 200% between 2017 and 2019. (Think With Google)
For more SEO stats, read Powerful SEO Statistics That Will Help You Boost Traffic to Your Site.
Additional Resources About SEO:
- Cracking the Code: Unveiling Powerful SEO Ranking Factors
- Mastering Off-Page SEO: Boosting Your Website’s Visibility
- On-Page SEO Checklist: How to Fully Optimize Your Posts
- Expert SEO Tips & Advice to Boost Your Traffic
- Shopify SEO Guide: Your Ultimate Step-by-Step Guide to Rank #1
Content Marketing Statistics
- 82% of marketers actively invest in content marketing, 10% report not using it, and 8% are unsure if their company uses content marketing. (HubSpot)
- In 2022, over 3 billion internet users watched video content at least once per month. (The Social Shepherd)
- On average, Instagram reels boast an engagement rate of 1.95%. (Sprout Social)
- In 2022, video (video marketing) was the most prevalent type of content creation, with blogs and images following closely behind. (HubSpot)
- 51% of businesses investing in content marketing publish content daily (The Manifest).
- A survey revealed that 44% of respondents consume 3 to 5 pieces of content on average before engaging with a vendor. (DemandGen)
- 2.35 billion people interact with Instagram reels every month. (EarthWeb)
- 73% of respondents like to learn about a product or service through short-form videos. 11% prefer text-based articles or posts. 4% prefer infographics. 3% would download an ebook/manual. And 3% prefer to attend a webinar. (Wyzowl)
- 81% of marketers consider content as a core business strategy. (CMI)
- Content marketing generates over 3 times as many leads as outbound marketing, costing 62% less. (Demand Metric)
- TikTok has 150 million active users (monthly) in the United States, and they use the app for an average of 1.5 hours daily. (Reuters) (SensorTower)
- Most B2B marketers try to stay ahead of the competition by focusing on content quality (83%) and covering untapped topics/stories (72%). (CMI)
- Top performing content assets for both B2B and B2C in 2021 and 2022 were short articles (under 3,000 words), videos, and virtual events/webinars/online courses. (CMI)
- 87% of B2B and 65% of B2C marketers prioritize fulfilling their audience’s informational needs over-delivering sales or promotional messages. (CMI)
- Users are more likely to share their shopping experiences and favorite purchases on Snapchat than on any other platform. (Snapchat)
- With 55.5% of brands using it for their campaigns, Tiktok is the most popular platform for influencer marketing. Followed by Instagram at 50.8% and Facebook at 42%.2. (Influencer Marketing Hub)
- 70% of people prefer to get information from blogs rather than traditional advertisements. (Demand Metric)
- The most popular types of content formats are “how-to” articles, with a 77% preference among readers. Following closely are news and trends articles, which are favored by 49% of readers. On the other hand, guides/ebooks are preferred by 47% of readers. (Statista)
- 70% of people have made a purchase from a brand after seeing it on YouTube. (Google)
- Podcast ad spending in the U.S. is expected to reach $2.2 billion in 2023. (Statista)
- 62% of Americans have listened to a podcast in 2022. (Edison Research)
- Companies that apply inbound marketing tactics can generate 126% more leads than those that don’t. (MarketSplash)
For more content marketing stats, read Fascinating Content Marketing Statistics To Make You A Marketing Genius.
Additional Resources About Content Marketing:
- Impressive Content Marketing Examples You Can Use
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Content Marketing
- How to Build a Content Marketing Funnel (+ Examples)
- The Ultimate Content Marketing Toolbox: Tools You Need to Know
- Content Formats Proven to Boost Audience Engagement
Social Proof Statistics
- 93% of millennials and Gen Z place as much trust in online reviews as they do in recommendations from friends and family. (Weave)
- 88% of consumers trust user reviews to the same extent as personal recommendations. (Invesp)
- 70% of individuals are willing to trust recommendations from unknown individuals, while 92% trust recommendations from peers. (Nielsen)
- 87% of consumers won’t use a business with less than a 3-star rating. (BrightLocal)
- On average, consumers read 10 online reviews before making a purchasing decision. (Statista)
- Shoppers of all ages expect an average of 112 reviews per product when they search online. (Retail Touchpoints)
- Typically, 18 to 24-year-old shoppers expect 203 reviews per product page. (Retail Touchpoints)
- 96% of users actively seek out negative customer reviews. (PowerReviews)
- Testimonials can increase conversions on sales pages by 34%. (VWO)
- After reading a positive review about a company, 50% of consumers visit the company’s website, getting closer to making a purchase or joining their email list. (HubSpot)
- Customers are ready to spend 31% more on a business that has outstanding reviews. (Invesp)
- A one-star increase in Yelp rating results in a 5-9% increase in revenue. (Harvard Business School)
- 56% of users experience FOMO or “fear of missing out.” (Mashable)
For more social proof stats, read Social Proof Statistics: Reasons Your Business Needs Social Proof.
Additional Resources About Social Proof:
- Proven Ways to Use Social Proof to Increase Your Conversions
- Best Social Proof Software Tools to Boost Sales
- Social Proof Examples To Start Using Today
- Social Proof: Free Tips for Social Proof Marketing Inside
- Best Social Proof Apps for Shopify
Conversion Rate Optimization Statistics
- 66% of people who start a form successfully complete it. (Zuko)
- Utilizing visual content such as videos on landing pages can result in an 86% improvement in conversions. (Eyeview)
- Approximately 74% of conversion rate optimization programs lead to increased sales. (MarketingSherpa)
- Personalized call-to-actions (CTAs) can potentially convert 42% more visitors than generic ones. (HubSpot)
- High-performing companies allocate at least 5% of their budget to Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO). (Adobe)
- Conducting A/B testing for landing page designs can increase conversions by 12%. (Blogging Wizard)
- Conversion rates increased by 77% for marketers who used marketing automation solutions. (VentureBeat)
- Even a 1-second delay in site speed can reduce conversions by up to 7%. (Akamai)
- Implementing multi-step forms in WordPress can lead to a significant increase of 300% in conversions. (Venture Harbour)
- Asking for telephone numbers in lead generation forms can cause a 5% decrease in conversions. (Unbounce)
- Marketers using optimization software witness an average boost of 30% in conversions. (Unbounce)
Additional Resources About CRO:
- Conversion Rate Optimization Tools That Pros Can’t Ignore
- How to Increase Website Conversion Rate
- What is a Good Conversion Rate?
- Conversion Rate Formula: How To Calculate Conversion Rate for Website
- Ways How To Increase Your Shopify Store’s Conversion Rate
Next Step: Improve Your Digital Marketing Sales With OptinMonster
And that’s it!
We hope this list of the latest digital marketing stats helped you understand how the average online business operates. Consider these insights when formulating the digital marketing strategy for your own online business.
To take your digital marketing sales to the next level, we highly recommend using OptinMonster.
OptinMonster stands out as the ultimate tool for small businesses aiming to boost their online store conversions. One of its standout features is its extensive collection of tried-and-tested templates.
These templates make it a breeze to create visually captivating opt-in forms, survey popups, and various other marketing campaigns.
At the end of the day, you can effortlessly grab the attention of new customers and create a strong desire for your online business.
But OptinMonster isn’t just a popup builder. It also has the most powerful targeting and trigger rules to help you show the right message to specific visitors.
This ensures you fill your email list with subscribers who are genuinely interested in your new digital product.
With OptinMonster, you can significantly improve conversion rates throughout your website. It helps you keep visitors engaged on your site, recover abandoned shopping carts, and create a superior user experience that drives conversions.
Ready to start marketing your digital business the simple way? Give OptinMonster a risk-free try today!