Are you looking for a WordPress popup plugin to grow your subscribers and customers?
Without a doubt, popups are proven to boost onsite conversions.
Since there are so many plugins to choose from, it can be overwhelming to find the perfect one for your needs.
That’s why we’ve handpicked the top WordPress popup plugins. And, by the end of this post, you’ll discover the best plugin for your website.
Why Use a WordPress Popup Plugin
Before we get into the details, we’ll have a look at why your WordPress site needs a popup plugin.
A plugin makes it easy for you to create a popup on your WordPress site. In fact, it’s the simplest way to grab your visitors’ attention.
So, why add a popup to your site in the first place?
Popups let you collect your site visitors’ email addresses or present a special offer. It’s an easy way for you to get your visitors to take action on your site. That’s because popups are displayed on top of the content and the rest of the content on your site is dimmed for grabbing complete attention to your offer.
That’s why just about every kind of business uses popups to increase subscribers, leads, and customers.
So, you might be wondering, how do I create a popup for WordPress?
Here’s where WordPress popup plugins come in.
A popup plugin lets you create stunning, targeted popups for your WordPress site easily.
The best WordPress popup plugin comes with a number of templates and a drag and drop popup builder. As a result, you can create and publish beautiful popups on your WordPress site in minutes.
Below, we’ve shortlisted the plugins that make it incredibly easy for you to create eye-catching, targeted popups without writing a line of code.
11 Best WordPress Popup Plugins
When you’re searching for the right WordPress popup plugin, you need to keep a few things in mind:
- Check whether the plugin offers responsive and eye-catching templates that are easy to customize. For a stunning popup, you’ll need a plugin that comes with a wide range of designs and drag and drop editing tools.
- Make sure the plugin offers advanced targeting and triggers to show the right message to the right person at the right time. Otherwise, you might annoy your visitors rather than improving user experience and conversions.
- A good plugin should seamlessly integrate with your favorite email marketing service provider. On top of that, it should be compatible with most WordPress plugins and themes.
- Last but not least, make sure the popup plugin you choose won’t negatively affect your WordPress site’s performance.
Now that you know what to watch for, we’ll have a look at the best WordPress popup plugins.
Let’s get right to it.
OptinMonster is the best WordPress popup plugin that makes it easy to generate more leads directly from your WordPress site. With its drag and drop builder, you can create eye-catching popups to convert your site visitors into subscribers.
With OptinMonster, you’ll get to choose from 50+ stunning popup templates. Your popup will work well on any type of device, whether your site visitor is browsing on a computer, smartphone, or tablet. And OptinMonster connects seamlessly with WordPress.
One of the best things about OptinMonster is that it comes with dozens of targeting options to show the right message to the right person at the right time. For example, you can display a popup that offers a lead magnet about blog traffic when your site visitor is reading a blog post about the same topic.
It’s why 1 million sites use OptinMonster to increase their leads.
Here is what sets it apart from other WordPress popup plugins:
- Advanced targeting: personalize campaigns based on things like your site visitor’s physical location, traffic source, and more
- Campaign triggers: use your site visitor’s behavior to make campaigns appear at the right time, like Exit-Intent®
- Beautiful pre-built templates: pick from stunning designs
- Analytics and testing: discover the campaigns that convert the best
- Multiple campaign types: choose from campaign types, like lightbox popup, fullscreen mat, and more
These features are so effective that Adam Enfroy, owner of AdamEnfroy.com, used it to add 3,000+ subscribers to his list every month with his existing traffic. One of the things Adam liked was how easy it was to integrate OptinMonster with his WordPress site.
Adam also used OptinMonster’s Monsterlinks™ feature to create this WordPress popup up on click.
This campaign converted at a 58.02% rate.
Leads generated from OptinMonster convert more because the campaigns are highly targeted. This means you’re only adding your most engaged visitors to your mailing list.
And the best thing is you can create targeted, beautiful campaigns in minutes.
TrustPulse is a great tool for increasing conversions on your WordPress site.
It lets you display small popups on your site to show the actions other people are taking on your site.
You can show your site visitors whenever someone:
- Makes a purchase
- Joins your mailing list
- Leaves a comment on your blog
These tiny alerts increase conversions by up to 15%.
Why are these real-time notifications so effective?
They’re based on social proof, a basic psychology principle.
When someone sees other people commenting on your posts and joining your email list, your credibility gets a boost. Your site visitors believe if other people are getting value from your content, they might too.
That’s why these popups motivate them to engage with your content.
HubSpot, famous for its CRM software, also offers a free WordPress plugin that lets you add popups to your site easily.
You can create several different popup types including drop-down banners and slide-in boxes. The popups are also easily customizable, no coding required, so you can choose how they look, when they appear, and who sees them.
Once someone fills out your popup form, their information is automatically brought into the built-in CRM. This makes it easy to manage your contacts, segment them into lists, and send follow-up emails.
Plus, you can view analytics to keep track of how your popups are performing.
4. Hello Bar
Looking for a simple popup plugin for WordPress?
Consider Hello Bar.
Hello Bar offers a free and paid version. The free version is ideal if you just want to show a basic WordPress popup. It’s incredibly easy to get started, and you’ll be able to customize your popup in the editor.
Keep in mind you’ll need to upgrade if you want to use their targeting features. Though, the free plan lets you target by device.
5. Popup Maker
Popup Maker is another popular WordPress popup plugin.
With this plugin, you can create popups for email optin forms and content upgrades. Popup Maker has a theme editor where you can customize your popup’s colors, fonts, and more.
The free version comes with several useful features:
- Multiple campaign types like slide-in popups and floating bars
- Basic targeting like showing only on specific pages and posts
- Easy customization to change the size and color of your popup
- Several triggers like displaying after a certain period of time
Plus, even the free version lets you create a WordPress popup on click.
Popup Builder is a responsive WordPress popup plugin.
This plugin lets your customize and target your popup to your audience. For example, choose to only display the popup once someone scrolls all the way down the page.
You can also create a WordPress popup on click.
There are free and paid versions of this popup plugin.
You’ll need to upgrade for more advanced features, like adding video or showing exit popups.
Elementor’s Popup Builder is a free and paid WordPress popup tool.
The free version includes everything you need to easily create a simple, responsive popup. You’ll get access to the drag and drop builder and choose from professionally designed templates.
With the premium version, you can access:
- Several popup designs
- Range of targeting rules, like showing on certain pages or posts
- Advanced triggers like exit intent and scroll trigger
It’s a great tool for building targeted popups but is a pricier option compared to OptinMonster.
Note that you’ll only get free technical support for one year.
8. Thrive Leads
Thrive Leads is a lead generation plugin for WordPress that comes with multiple campaign types and templates.
Like other plugins on this list, Thrive Leads offers a drag and drop builder for easy editing.
Other features include:
- Detailed targeting to show popups on specific pages or posts
- Advanced A/B testing to find the best messages
- Responsive mobile-friendly designs
Like Elementor, support’s only free for the first year.
Bloom is a WordPress popup plugin from Elegant Themes.
It’s incredibly easy to use. And, you’ll have the freedom to customize your popup to change elements like the background color, form color, images, and more.
Its features include:
- Triggers when someone reaches the bottom of post or page
- Displays after someone leaves a blog post comment
- Shows after someone completes a product or service purchase
Like most of the best WordPress popup plugins, Bloom is fully responsive.
Creating WordPress popups with Icegram is quick and simple.
Choose from multiple campaign types, like lightbox and fullscreen. You’ll also be able to target visitors based on their location and onsite behavior.
However, Icegram offers fewer templates compared with other WordPress popup plugins on this list.
OptinMonk lets you build popups to grow your email list from your WordPress site.
It lets you edit your templates in a drag and drop builder. From there, you’re free to customize your text, colors, and layout.
You can create different campaigns, like popups and fullscreen.
Using OptiMonk, you can create targeted popups, showing campaigns based on your visitor’s referral source and onsite browsing history. You’ll also be able to access data and analytics to see which messages have the highest conversions.
There you have it. These are the best WordPress popup plugins available to you.
Once you’ve chosen your popup software, you’ll want to start using popups to grow your list right away.
Here are a few useful resources to help you build an engaged email list from day one:
- How to Grow Your Email List: 80+ Proven and Simple Ways
- Email Marketing Made Simple: A Step by Step Guide [+ Examples]
- How To Get More Email Subscribers in Less than 5 Minutes
Want to start creating popups that convert your WordPress site visitors? Sign up for OptinMonster today.