In this article, we’ve hand-picked the best Google Analytics plugins for WordPress users. We’ll take you through the pros and cons of each and help you choose the best Google Analytics plugin for your needs.
What would happen if your car didn’t come with a dashboard?
No way of knowing how fast you’re going, no lights to tell you when something is happening that shouldn’t be, and nothing to tell you where you should be focusing your attention.
Scary, right? No way you’d drive a car without analytics! Well, guess what? Analytics are important for your website, too.
Before we get into the options for best Google Analytics plugin for WordPress, let’s talk about what Google Analytics even is and why it’s important for your website.
What Is Google Analytics?
Google Analytics a free analytics solution that can be easily installed in WordPress using the plugins included in this article. You can also install it to any website by adding the code directly.
You can use Google Analytics on a single site or install it on multiple websites and view all your reports under one dashboard using a single code.
Google Analytics shows you the number of visitors to your site and has advanced reports you can use to track links, perform A/B testing, track user engagement, get real-time traffic insights, and even more.
So, now that you know all about Google Analytics, you’re probably wondering, “Do I really need a Google Analytics plugin?” or “How can I find the best Google Analytics plugin for WordPress?”
Good thing you’re here because we’re covering both of those right here in this very article. Keep reading!
Why Do You Need a Google Analytics Plugin?
Web analytics help you get detailed insights on your site visitors which can help you make informed, data-driven decisions that will grow your business.
With a Google Analytics plugin, you’ll be able to:
- Know where your referral traffic comes from. When you know where your referral traffic is coming from, you know where to invest your marketing dollars.
- Segment your audience. You can create specific campaigns to target specific segments of your audience when you know more about who your audience is.
- Track the effectiveness of your campaigns. Keep track of how your campaigns are performing with advanced reporting.
- Create and track conversion goals. Google Analytics allows you to create and track custom conversion goals so you can track each stage in the customer journey.
- Analyze and improve your content marketing. With Google Analytics, you can find out what keywords you’re ranking for and what content is working for you.
And that’s just the beginning of what you can do with an analytics plugin on your WordPress site.
Can you use Google Analytics without a plugin? Yes. Does a plugin make it a billion times easier? YES.
You can probably see why we’re so excited about sharing these plugins with you, so let’s dive into our picks for the best Google Analytics plugins for WordPress!
With a staggering 2+ million active installations, MonsterInsights is the most popular Google Analytics plugin for WordPress, and there’s a reason it tops many “best Google Analytics plugins” lists.
The MonsterInsights plugin makes it just about effortless to set up even the most advanced Google Analytics features in WordPress with just a few clicks. No coding necessary and no developers needed.
With the built-in Google Analytics dashboard, you don’t even have to leave WordPress to get useful visitor information. Just access the MonsterInsights dashboard right from WordPress to access all the analytics you need.
The plugin also comes with several addons that extend the functionality of the plugin and make it even more useful.
Google Analytics Enhanced eCommerce tracking for WooCommerce, Easy Digital Downloads, and MemberPress let you track things like conversion rate, transactions, and average order value with a single click.
The EU Compliance addon makes it easy to:
- Anonymize IP in Google Analytics
- Disable the Demographics and Interest Reports for Remarketing and Advertising
- Disable UserID and author name tracking
- Integrate with Cookie Notice and CookieBot plugins to collect user consent before tracking
- Work with Google AMP Consent Box
- Integrate with Google Analytic’s Chrome browser opt-out extension and built-in cookie opt-out system
- Offer Easy Opt-Out link for Google Analytics tracking
MonsterInsights also comes with a Forms addon that lets you easily track form views, submissions, and form conversion rates!
Other Features You’ll Love:
- Google Analytics universal tracking, so you can track your users across devices and platforms
- 1-click Google Analytics integration with Facebook Instant Articles
- MonsterInsights Ads tracking addon so publishers can easily track the performance of their Google AdSense Ads
- Affiliate link tracking makes it easy for bloggers and affiliate marketers to track their affiliate links
- MonsterInsights custom Google analytics event tracking feature lets you easily add outbound-link tracking, file downloads tracking, call-to-action button tracking, hashmark tracking, telephone link tracking, and more
- Custom Dimensions addon lets you use Google Analytics custom dimensions to generate helpful WordPress stats for things like author, SEO score, and focus keyword tracking
- Multisite support
- Built-in permissions so you can control who has access to view the Google Analytics dashboard
MonsterInsights is simple to use but comes packed with advanced features that make it a great choice for beginners and seasoned marketers alike.
Next up in our list of the best Google Analytics plugins for WordPress is ExactMetrics.
This plugin allows users to easily install the latest Google Analytics tracking code to view beautiful Google Analytics reports directly in their WordPress admin area. These reports include important information like:
Additionally, the Google Analytics tracking code is fully customizable which allows for advanced data collection like events (downloads, page scrolling length, etc.) and custom dimensions (author, publication year, etc.).
As we already mentioned, ExactMetrics is free! It’s also well-supported.
Analytify rounds out the top 3 in our list of best Google Analytics plugins for WordPress. It offers super easy installation and just like MonsterInsights, lets you view your Google Analytics reports right inside your WordPress admin area.
You can also get page-level analytics for every page and post, as well as detailed stats for your custom post types, like portfolio, galleries, and testimonials.
To extend its functionality, Analytify includes a few addons. Here are our favorites:
- eCommerce tracking for WooCommerce and Easy Digital Downloads. These addons let you track sales, transactions, and revenues and display the stats in an easy-to-understand way.
- Email Notifications. If you want your Google Analytics reports sent to your (or your clients) in a beautiful, HTML email format, this is the addon you need.
- Goals. This addon makes it easy to create and showcase goals and goal completion to your clients, right from your WordPress dashboard.
There’s also a Campaigns addon to track individual campaigns using UTM (Urchin Tracking Module) parameters.
If you’re looking for a Google Analytics plugin to track your WooCommerce store, this free WordPress plugin might just be the plugin for you.
Enhanced Ecommerce Google Analytics Plugin uses the eCommerce tracking feature of Google Analytics to help you optimize your online store based on the data collected from visitor behavior. The plugin supports all the in-depth reporting the Google Analytics offers, as well as 4 new reports included in Enhanced eCommerce:
- Shopping Behavior
- Checkout Behavior
- Product Performance
- Sales Performance
This plugin also helps you capture a ton of site behavior that will help you understand how visitors are browsing and shopping your site.
Enhanced Ecommerce Google Analytics Plugin does come with limitations, of course. For starters, it only supports simple products, highly customized stores, subscription products, shortcodes, or child themes.
If none of those is a dealbreaker for you, Enhanced Ecommerce Google Analytics Plugin is a solid—and free—Google Analytics plugin for WordPress that can give you the insight you need for your WooCommerce store.
Google Analytics by 10Web is another easy-to-install plugin that lets you set and manage goals, create and use custom dimensions, and view Google Analytics reports from the comfort of your WordPress admin area.
This plugin also integrates with Google Ads and Google AdSense to give you important data about your ad campaigns all in the same dashboard.
Here are some of the other features you’re bound to enjoy:
- eCommerce reporting
- Goal management
- Custom reporting
- Alerts when metrics reach specified high or low points
- Share reports via automated email
- Export reports to CSV files
- Filter tracked data to exclude certain user types, locations, or IP addresses
Google Analytics by 10Web also features outstanding customers support and vows to resolve your issue, should you have one, within 24 hours.
Are you looking for a lightweight Google Analytics plugin that simply does the work of connecting your WordPress site to Google Analytics?
GA Google Analytics is GDPR compliant and enables the Google Analytics tracking code on all the pages of your WordPress site. You can even disable tracking of admin-level users so your data isn’t skewed by the people who are on your site for work-related reasons.
As far as features go, however, that’s about it for this plugin. To get additional features, you’ll have to upgrade to the pro version of this plugin. This Google Analytics plugin is designed for simplicity and it delivers.
To access your Google Analytics data and reports you’ll have to log in to your Google Analytics account.
WP Statistics is a free/freemium, easy-to-install WordPress analytics plugin that shows stats and simple graphs inside your WordPress dashboard.
You can track visitor data like IP address, referring site, browser, operating system, country, and city, as well as track redirects from search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing, DuckDuckGo, and more.
WP Statistics also supports WordPress roles and lets you set access levels to view and manage analytics. Additionally, you can export your analytics data to XML, CSV, or TSV files and WP Statistics also can send an email statistics summary with customizable text.
A downside of this plugin is that it stores the data on your WordPress site. Over time, this may increase your backup size.
Backup size not a problem? Get started with WP Statistics today!
WP Google Analytics Events makes it super easy to send events to Google Analytics when a visitor scrolls to a specific point of interest on your WordPress site or they click certain elements on your site, like buttons or Ajax submit forms—with no coding required.
Event tracking in Google Analytics is incredibly powerful and useful for understanding what your visitors do on your website. Here are just a few things you could do with the WP Google Analytics Events plugin:
- Track in-page navigation
- Compare call-to-action button performance
- Understand what percentage of your visitors read to the end of a post
- Track contact form conversions
If you’re a fan of using videos in your posts, you should check out the premium version of the plugin that lets you create events to track video views, pauses, and completions. Pretty cool, right?
It’s important to remember that this plugin is only for event tracking, so you’ll still need another option to track your site stats and demographics.
What Is the Best Google Analytics Plugin for WordPress?
That’s it for our top picks for best Google Analytics WordPress plugins, so now it’s time to pick a winner, right? Drumroll, please: 🥁🥁🥁🥁🥁
MonsterInsights is hands down the best Google Analytics plugin for WordPress. It offers an incredible selection of features, is backed back an awesome team that works hard to keep the plugin updated and the software behind it constantly improving, and lets you do everything you need to do from the comfort of your WordPress dashboard.
If you’re looking for the best free Google Analytics plugin for WordPress, we highly recommend ExactMetrics.
We hope this article about the best Google Analytics plugins was exactly what you were looking for! If you’re interested in learning more about Google Analytics for WordPress, why not set up your Google Analytics account and start creating conversion goals?
And, don’t forget that OptinMonster is the #1 conversion software in the world. Whatever your goals are, we get you there. Get started with OptinMonster today!