OptinMonster makes it easy to integrate your campaigns with Google Analytics for detailed reporting. View, filter and run detailed reports on campaign impressions and conversions using Google Analytics.
In this article, you’ll learn how to connect Google Analytics with OptinMonster.
Before You Start
Here are some things to know before you begin:
- By default, you can view total impressions and conversions as well as the top-converting pages with our built-in analytics (no set-up required). Connecting to Google Analytics is optional.
- Google Analytics is connected to each individual campaign through the campaign builder. There is no bulk-integration option at this time.
- If you are not the owner of the Google Analytics account you are connecting to OptinMonster, you will need to be an Editor or Administrator level user.
- Learn how to view campaign events in your Google Analytics account.
Add New Connection
When you create a campaign in OptinMonster that you intend to track the detailed performance of you’ll want to integrate with Google Analytics.
To send campaign event details to Google Analytics, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Analytics tab in the campaign builder.
- Click Connect.
- Select Add a New Google Connection from the Google Analytics Account dropdown.
- Next, select the Generate Authentication Code button.
- A new window will open asking you to allow OptinMonster to connect to your Google Analytics account. Select the Allow button to continue.
- Copy the generated code that appears on the next screen. Return to the OptinMonster campaign builder in your browser and paste the code into the Authentication Token field.
- Give your Google Analytics integration a unique name (internal use only) in the Account Label field. This will help you identify the integration for use in other campaigns.
- Click Next to complete the integration.
- Finally, select the Google Analytics profile you want to associate with the campaign from the Website Profile dropdown field. We recommend using the All Web Site Data profile in most instances. Be sure the domain of your Google Analytics profile matches the domain your campaign is set to appear on.
- When you’re finished, click Save.
To specify a default Google Analytics integration for all new campaigns created for a specific site, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Sites page in your OptinMonster account.
- Locate the site you wish to configure a default Google Analytics integration for and select the Edit button.
- Next, Select Your Google Analytics Account and Website Profile from the dropdown fields.
- When you’re finished click the Save Changes button.
Why can’t I find the View I wish to assign?
If you are not the owner of the Google Analytics account you are integrating the campaign with, you must have an Editor or Administrator user role assignment.
How do I view my campaign’s analytics?
Our in-house analytics can be viewed directly from your OptinMonster account.
Google Analytics reports can be viewed by logging into your Google Analytics account and following our guide to viewing reports in Google Analytics.
How do I remove Google Analytics?
To stop collecting stats for an individual campaign, in the Analytics panel of the campaign builder’s Google Analytics Account dropdown choose the Select your account… option. Save your campaign and it will no longer collect stats.
How do I remove a Google Analytics integration from my OptinMonster account?
To remove a Google Analytics integration from your account completely, follow these steps:
- From the OptinMonster Dashboard navigate to My Account.
- Next, navigate to the Integrations page.
- Select Configure below the Google Analytics icon.
- Next, select Disconnect next to the integration you want to remove.
This will automatically disconnect any campaign connected to this Google Analytics integration.
- Finally, confirm the deletion by selecting Yes, I’m Sure.
This will permanently delete the integration, there is no option to undo this action. If you decide to add the integration again you will need to manually reconnect individual campaigns.
Why doesn’t my Google Analytics reports match the analytics shown in my OptinMonster Dashboard for individual campaigns?
This is quite normal.
OptinMonster’s in-house analytics are exact metrics, we do not filter or sample any data so the numbers you see are the literal number of impressions and conversions for each campaign in your OptinMonster account.
However, it’s very common for Google Analytics to sample data and not provide you with the literal number of impressions and conversions. Learn more about data sampling from Google Analytics.
Why don’t my site visits match my campaign impressions?
There are several reasons a campaign’s impression data does not match your overall pageview count in Google Analytics, including:
- Order of campaign loading: if you have multiple campaigns of the same type they will load on the page in the order they’re embedded in the DOM. If for some reason the visitor never proceeds through the first campaign that appears of that type they will not end up viewing any additional campaigns of that type until they do.
For example, assuming you have three lightbox campaigns embedded throughout your entire site:
– Scenario 1: The homepage is set to load all of the campaigns. Campaign 1 appears to the visitor but they exit the page before loading campaign 2 and campaign 3.
– Scenario 2: campaign 1’s page targeting excludes the campaign from loading on the homepage, as a result campaign 2 loads on the homepage first and there’s no impression counted for campaign 1 on this pageview.
- Cookie Settings: OptinMonster allows you to set both Individual Cookies and Global Cookies to help control how often your campaigns appear to visitors.
– Individual Cookies: Once a visitor has successfully subscribed, or closed the campaign with the close icon, a cookie will be set for the number of days you’ve specified. Once that time has lapsed the campaign will appear to them again.
– Global Cookies: What this does is prevent any popup campaigns from appearing to a visitor only once they’ve successfully subscribed through one of your campaigns. This allows you to more finely tune the appearance of the campaign to your visitors. If you’ve set an individual cookie for any campaign and the visitor closes or submits the campaign they won’t continue to see that campaign even if they continue clicking through your site and generating pageview in Google Analytics. If you’ve set a global cookie for the domain and the visitor closes or submits an campaign they will not see any other campaigns on the site until the cookie duration has passed or they clear their browser’s cookies. See our cookie documentation for more details.
- Desktop vs. Mobile: Is your campaign configured to load on only specific devices? You’ll want to be sure you’re filtering your overall Google Analytics page-views by the device used and compare to mobile vs. non-mobile campaigns running on your site.
- Configuration: Depending on the settings you’ve defined for each individual campaign it’s possible for Google Analytics to count a pageview (the webpage finishes loading) and for the visitor to navigate away from or exit your site before the campaign is shown to them. As a result, GA will reflect a pageview but your campaign will not count an impression since it did not appear to the visitor.
As a result, it’s rarely possible to run a direct comparison between the impression count of an individual campaign and the overall (unfiltered) pageview count of your site in Google Analytics.
Can I track conversions if I’m using a Custom HTML integration?
Yes, see our guide to tracking conversions when using Custom HTML.
What data does OptinMonster send to Google Analytics?
We send event data, specifically impressions and conversions.
We also send the campaign name and ID.
It’s possible that Google Analytics may also track other data with this that we don’t control. However, the above details are all that OptinMonster sends to Google Analytics.
If you’re serious about jumpstarting your eCommerce business growth, then get started with OptinMonster today!
Our conversion experts will design 1 free campaign for you to get maximum results – absolutely FREE! Click here to get started →