Are you looking to transform your WordPress site into a fully functional membership site? Choosing the right WordPress membership plugin is crucial to creating a better platform.
A membership plugin is designed to help you create memberships and then give these members access to content.
But, how does this boost your bottom line?
A membership plugin makes it easy to:
- Create email lists, so you can send your customers coupons or updates
- Share free content to create a loyal following
- Charge for access to members-only content
In this post, we share 12 of the best WordPress membership plugins to get your site up and running.
How to Choose a WordPress Membership Plugin for Your Site
With all of the WordPress membership plugins out there, how do you choose the right one for you?
There are 3 key areas to consider: ease of use, compatibility, and design and features. Let’s talk about each of those areas a little bit.
Ease of Use
When it comes to membership plugins, you have two options:
Purchase a Lightweight WordPress Membership Plugin
Many lightweight plugins are built to be fast and give you the basics you need. Many of these plugins also offer addons that you can install to extend the functionality of the plugin and get access to more features.
Purchase a Fully-Featured WordPress Membership Plugin
With a fully-featured plugin, your interface may be crowded, but you’ll have plenty of features at your fingertips.
It’s easy to take a WordPress membership plugin for a compatibility test drive. Simply test it on your local WordPress install.
If it’s compatible with your WordPress theme and plugins, you can install the plugin on the production site.
Design and Features
Do your customers want to check out using PayPal or Authorize.net? Maybe you’d like to streamline your checkout process by offering multiple payment gateways?
What do you want your pricing page to look like?
Are you interested in supplying your members with drip content?
Once you know the answers to questions like these, you’re set to decide which membership plugin has the right features and design for you.
Several top-notch WordPress membership plugins have been built with WordPress in mind.
Here are 12 of our favorites:
- WooCommerce Memberships
- Restrict Content Pro
- Paid Membership Pro
- aMember Pro
- Wishlist Member
Best WordPress Membership Plugins
MemberPress is an all-in-one membership plugin for WordPress that makes it easy to transform your current website into a fully-featured membership site.
With MemberPress, you can create an unlimited amount of memberships (and customize all of them, including the price members pay, who can become a member, and how long a member’s trial period will last).
Then, you can place your members into groups, control their upgrade paths, and create dynamic pricing pages. It’s easy to send emails to your members as well. For instance, you can use the email integration to advertise holiday promos or flash sales.
MemberPress also gives you control over your coupons. You have the power to control expiration dates, select a discount percentage or fixed amount, decide which products they apply to, or change the coupon code (normally automatically generated) to a customized code.
MemberPress handles payments automatically, as long as you have one payment method set up and one product created. The plugin also has built-in support for payment gateways like PayPal, Stripe, and Authorize.net.
- Integrates with Constant Contact, Mailchimp, AWeber, GetResponse, etc.
- Includes content dripping and contact access expiration
- Content restriction rules to protect posts, pages, images, videos, etc.
- Powerful LMS features to create online courses
- Integrates with Affiliate Royale to create your own affiliate program
- Simple payment gateway integration
- Customizable checkout
Pricing starts at $149/year.
Building a membership site is great, but only if you actually have members who use it. That’s where OptinMonster comes in.
OptinMonster is the world’s #1 conversion toolkit that lets you exponentially grow your user base for your membership site without having to grow your traffic. Brands like Expat.com uses OptinMonster’s personalization features to grow its community by 30,000 members every month.
With OptinMonster, you can get more email subscribers, increase your revenue, and, in this case, add more new members to your site.
You can use OptinMonster to create conversion optimization campaigns that work with your site’s content to grow your community. And since we have so many campaign types, you aren’t limited to just 1 approach.
You can create Exit-Intent® popups, Slide-In boxes, Content Lockers, and many more that have been proven to drastically increase conversions.
It’s no wonder that OptinMonster is used and trusted by over 1,000,000 websites.
- Multiple campaign types to get you more members
- Over 50 pre-made templates that work across desktop, tablet, and mobile devices
- More targeting and trigger options than any other software on the market
- Native integrations for over 30 email service provides (and can be easily integrated with any email service provider)
- Detailed analytics reporting to help you make better data-driven decisions about your conversion strategy
Pricing starts at just $9 per month and allows you to scale as you grow.
WooCommerce Memberships is an addon for WooCommerce that lets you limit content so that it’s only available to registered members of your site. If your membership site is going to accept recurring payments, you’ll also need the WooCommerce Subscriptions plugin.
In WooCommerce Memberships, you can create a purchasing club, which means members have to sign up to be in the club before they can make a purchase. You can even make them sign up to get access to purchase exclusive items!
You’ll be able to use the email addresses you’ve collected by growing your membership site to email notices to your members about loyalty discounts or holiday sales.
The WooCommerce membership plugin also allows you to gift a membership alongside the sale of one of your products.
It may also be reassuring to know if you’re not satisfied, the WooCommerce membership plugin offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Integrates with Constant Contact
- Invite-Only members area
- Content dripping
- Free shipping for members
- Easy communication with members
Pricing starts at $149 for a single site.
Restrict Content Pro is a lightweight WordPress membership plugin that’s created by the team that built Easy Digital Downloads. If you feel less confident about setting up your membership plugin, Restrict Content Pro could help: the plugin offers notes to guide you through the setup pages.
This plugin also comes chock full of features to regulate content access, and the developers are constantly adding new features.
Restrict Content Pro offers plenty of options for payment integration, including Stripe, Braintree, 2Checkout, Authorize.net, PayPal, and PayPal Standard and Express. The plugin can also handle multiple payment options at once.
To “try before you buy,” check out Restrict Contents Pro’s live demonstration site.
- Different membership levels
- Customer dashboard, so members can view and manage account details
- Content dripping
- Unlimited subscription packages
- Membership emails
- Can offer discounts on membership subscriptions
Pricing starts at $99/year for the Personal plan.
Paid Memberships Pro is a free WordPress membership plugin that comes with a great set of features. Plus, it’s extendable through addons.
With Paid Memberships Pro, you can set up unlimited access levels with flexible pricing, offer coupons and discount codes, drip content, and more. Those using this plugin successfully manage thousands of members, accept payments for digital courses, and create social communities for special interests, among other things.
- Integrates with Constant Contact
- Pay per post/view
- Compatible with: PayPal, PayPal Pro/Express, 2CheckOut, Stripe
- Allows for acceptance of recurring payment
- Members-only product discounts
Free plan; premium plans start at $297.
S2Member is another free WordPress membership plugin. The free version is a bit limited but gives you a good starting point.
With the pro version, you’ll get access to one of the most comprehensive membership plugins on the market. S2Member includes features like content dripping, user roles, 1-step registration and checkout, unlimited paid membership levels, and so much more.
- Easy-to-accept recurring payments
- Includes PayPal integration in Framework version
- Stripe, ClickBank, PayPal Pro, and Authorize.net integrations are available in Pro
- Coupon codes and coupon code tracking
- Gift certificate codes
- Customizable pro-form templates
Free plan; pricing starts at $89.
7. aMember Pro
aMember is a comprehensive membership plugin that was built in PHP but allows for integration into WordPress. Therefore, one of the downsides of using aMember as your membership plugin is that you may experience compatibility issues with other WordPress plugins.
This membership plugin comes with unlimited membership levels, 200+ payment options (including PayPal, Stripe, and Authorize.net), full-featured membership management, and more.
- Unlimited membership levels
- Full-featured membership management
- Translated into 6 languages
- Longstanding plugin (17+ years)
Pricing starts at $149.36 for a lifetime license.
MemberMouse is a WordPress membership plugin that caters to the not-so-technologically savvy among us. It lets you create membership levels and bundles, making it easy for existing members to purchase one-off items.
You can also create trial offers and coupons, as well as integrate MemberMouse with the best payment gateways and email marketing providers to maximize your results.
- Shortcode library
- Easy to configure checkout
- Time-release/drip content
- Single-click upsells
- Automatic downsells
- Prorated upgrades
Pricing starts at $19.95/month for up to 1,000 members.
WishList Member has a lot to it—you can create unlimited membership levels, protect content with a single click, easily accept payments, integrate with your email marketing service, and much more. Plus, it comes with tons of documentation like tutorials, videos, and guides that will help you get the most out of it.
- Protect content and set pricing with just a couple of steps
- Offers tons of integrations with email marketing providers, payment gateways, and other productivity tools
- Easily drip content
- Developer tools like REST API & WP template tags
- Membership statistics at a glance
- Unlimited membership levels and flexible membership options
Pricing starts at $197 for a single site license.
WP-Members is another free WordPress membership plugin that makes it easy to restrict access or hide pages, posts, and custom post types. It keeps the registration process on the site’s frontend, so it’s part of your content instead of taking users to the WordPress login page.
- Requires no modifications to your existing WordPress theme
- Create custom registration and profile fields
- Add post excerpt teaser content automatically
- Create powerful customizations with 120+ action and filter hooks
Free plugin with very limited functionality; pricing starts at $59/year (lifetime is $499).
ARMember is a free WordPress membership plugin that comes with a wide range of features. You can create unlimited membership levels, restrict content with 1 click, drip content, and more. It also comes with a built-in form builder that lets you create custom forms and signup pages.
- Create free and trial memberships
- Ability to upgrade, cancel, renew, or downgrade memberships
- Social login forms
- Badges and achievements
- Drip/scheduled content
Free; premium version is $43.
MagicMembers lets you deliver an online course, drip content, and offer products on a pay-per-view basis, among other useful features.
- Tons of payment gateway and email autoresponder integrations
- Flexible membership options
- Drip/schedule content delivery
- Controlled and partial content display
- Pay-per-view and pay-per-post access
- Forum integrations
Pricing starts at $97.
Which WordPress Membership Plugin Is Best For You?
We’re big fans of MemberPress and we’ve found that it’s the best membership plugin you can have for your WordPress website. It has all the features you need, as well as excellent documentation and support. MemberPress is also the most comprehensive WordPress membership plugin.
Whichever WordPress plugins you choose, now’s the time to create your thriving web-based community. These posts can help you do that.
- How to Cloak Affiliate Links in WordPress for More Sales
- 13 Benefits of Email Marketing: Why (and How) to Grow Your List
- 9 Best Push Notification Tools for WordPress (Compared)
You can also start generating leads for your new membership website by joining OptinMonster today!
Generate even more interest by showing off how many people are joining your membership site with TrustPulse. TrustPulse helps you leverage the power of social proof to instantly increase trust, conversions, and sales by showing live, verified customer activity in real-time on your site.