Do you want a login-based, exclusive website? It’s time to start searching for WordPress membership plugins!
A WordPress membership plugin helps create login access to content. This kind of plugin makes it easy to:
- Create email lists to send customers coupons or updates
- Share free content to create a following
- Charge for content
WordPress membership plugins differ from gated content marketing. This is because gated content often only asks for email opt-ins. Meanwhile, membership plugins usually want more information and payments.
In this post, we share 14 of the best WordPress membership plugins.
How to Choose Between WordPress Membership Plugins
With all the WordPress membership plugins out there, how do you choose the right one?
There are 3 key areas to consider:
- Features: Determine how much you need from a login-based plugin. Do you only need the basics, or do you want to offer a full-fledged interactive experience? Of course, cost is a factor in this!
- Compatibility: Your plugin must work with your WordPress theme and other plugins. You can check if your plugin is compatible using a staging site.
- Ease of Use: Be sure it’s easy for your team and customers to use.
Bearing these in mind, here are 14 of our favorite WordPress membership plugins.
- WooCommerce Memberships
- Restrict Content Pro
- aMember Pro
- Paid Memberships Pro
- Wishlist Member
Best WordPress Membership Plugins
MemberPress is an all-in-one WP login-based plugin. It streamlines building fully-featured WordPress membership sites.
You can create an unlimited number of customizable memberships.
It pairs with plugins like bbPress to encourage users to interact in forums. This could help you create a thriving community.
You can put members in groups and control upgrade paths. The plugin also lets you create dynamic pricing pages.
MemberPress also gives you control over coupons and payments. It supports payment processing options like PayPal, Stripe, and Authorize.net.
- Integrates with Mailchimp, Constant Contact, GetResponse, Easy Affiliate, and more
- Includes content dripping
- Content restriction rules, including access end dates
- Powerful learning management system (LMS) features for online courses
- Customizable checkout
- Basic: $179 per year
- Plus: $299 per year
- Pro: $399 per year
OptinMonster is a premium WordPress plugin and the world’s #1 conversion toolkit.
Using a WordPress membership plugin is excellent, but only if you have members. That’s where OptinMonster comes in.
While OptinMonster isn’t a login plugin, it can help get more users to your membership site.
For example, check out how Expat.com grows by 30,000 members monthly using OptinMonster.
You can use OptinMonster to create conversion campaigns. With so many campaign types, you aren’t limited to 1 approach. It lets you add Exit-Intent® popups, Slide-In boxes, Content Lockers, and other campaigns. Each increases conversions.
We also have tons of templates and a drag-and-drop visual builder. You can make your membership site your own in a matter of minutes.
Segmentation and targeting control when, where, and to whom your ads appear.
It’s no wonder over 1,000,000 websites use OptinMonster!
- Many campaign types to get you more members
- Over 50 pre-made templates that work across desktop, tablet, and mobile devices
- Most powerful targeting and trigger options than any other software on the market
- Native integrations with dozens of email providers
- Detailed analytics reporting
- Basic: $9 per month
- Plus: $19 per month
- Pro: $29 per month
- Growth: $49 per month
WooCommerce Memberships lets you limit content and set up recurring or one-time payments. This program lets you can have a purchasing club. This means visitors have to sign up and log in before buying.
WooCommerce Memberships Features
- Integrates with Constant Contact
- Member areas requiring invitations
- Content dripping
- Offer different membership levels
- Easy communication with members
WooCommerce Memberships Pricing
$199 per year
Restrict Content Pro promises a simple setup. Then, you get robust content restrictions, premium content capabilities, and more.
Restrict Content Pro offers plenty of payment options. These include Stripe, Authorize.net, and PayPal.
Restrict Content Pro Features
- Unlimited number of membership levels
- Customer dashboard
- WooCommerce integration
- Membership emails
- Integrates with most payment methods
Restrict Content Pro Pricing
- Basic: Free
- Personal: $99 per year
- Plus: $149 per year
- Professional: $249 per year
5. aMember Pro
aMember is a comprehensive WordPress membership plugin. It uses PHP, but it lets you connect with WordPress anyway.
PHP is great for many things, especially if you’re updated to the current version. But, it may cause compatibility issues with some plugins. The code is customizable, so aMember may be best for more experienced designers.
aMember has unlimited membership levels, 200+ payment options, and more.
aMember Pro Features
- Unlimited membership levels
- Robust membership management
- Several payment integrations
- Built-in affiliate program
- Works with most WordPress themes
aMember Pro Pricing
$149.36 for a lifetime license
S2Member offers a limited free WordPress membership plugin and in-depth paid versions.
The pro version grants access to a comprehensive membership plugin. These features only scratch the surface:
- Security features
- Compatible with several affiliate programs and caching plugins
- Subscription levels for free memberships or paid plans
- Monitoring for simultaneous logins
- Customizable pro-form templates
- Framework: Free
- Pro Single-Site: $89 one time fee
- Pro Unlimited-Site: $189 one time fee
Paid Memberships Pro has over 100,000 sites and has been around for over 10 years.
With Paid Memberships Pro, you can have unlimited access levels with flexible pricing. It lets you offer coupons and discount codes, drip content, and more.
You can have thousands of members, create communities, and more.
Paid Memberships Pro Features
- Can show “sneak peeks” of content
- Pay per post or view
- Personalized member homepages
- Thorough admin dashboard
- Many payment methods and gateways
Paid Memberships Pro Pricing
- Free: $0
- Standard: $247 per year
- Plus: $397 per year
- Builder: $697 per year
MemberMouse lets you sell protected content and customize access to each piece.
This plugin lets members access more than online content. You can also sell products.
- Dynamic checkout page
- Can sell memberships or physical products
- Many security functions
- Social login options
- Custom dashboards
- Builder: $29 per month
- Advanced: $79 per month
- Premium: $199 per month
- Custom: Cost determined on a case-by-case basis
WishList Member is all about customization. This plugin should work with most WP plugins, themes, and page builders. It also lets you set up trigger actions so your job could go quicker in the long run.
If you want an LMS, exclusive community, or private site, WishList Member can help.
If there’s a problem with this platform, it’s that there are too many options! You can do a lot of things with WishList Member, to the point where it may get overwhelming.
- Tons of integrations with email marketing providers, payment gateways, and other tools
- Drip content
- Developer tools like REST API and WP template tags
- Membership statistics at a glance
- Unlimited membership levels with flexible options
- WishList Member: $199 per year
- WishList Member + Add-ons: $399 per year
WP-Members is a free WordPress membership plugin. You don’t need to change your current WP setup for it to work.
They have a video and user guide to walk you through installation. It has a good number of features, but since it’s free, it’s a bit lighter than some others.
- No modifications to your WordPress theme
- Custom registration and user profile fields
- Automatic post excerpt teaser content
- WooCommerce membership options
- Customizations with 120+ action and filter hooks
- WP-Members: $0
- WP-Members Priority Support: $59 per year
- WP-Members Pro Bundle: $125 per year
ARMember is a free WordPress membership plugin with a range of features.
You can create unlimited membership levels, 1-click content restriction, and more. It also has a form and signup page builder.
- Create free and trial memberships
- Ability to upgrade, cancel, renew, or downgrade memberships
- Form builder
- Badges and achievements
- Pay per post option
The base is free, but there are many add-ons. To get all add-ons at once, it’s $249.
Almost 90,000 sites use MagicMembers! It’s also existed and kept maintained for over 10 years, showing its developers believe in the plugin. You can see this faith even more by its reasonable pricing; this means they want lots of people to be able to use it.
This WordPress membership plugin is great for selling courses and products as pay-per-views. It offers a ton of other features, too:
- Tons of payment gateway and autoresponder integrations
- Custom widgets
- Schedule content delivery
- Controlled and partial content display
- Pay per view or post access
- Single: $97 one-time payment
- 3-Site: $197 one-time payment
- Unlimited: $207 one-time payment
LearnDash is the #1 LMS (learning management system). It isn’t a run-of-the-mill plugin. It lets you build a WordPress membership site for learners. Learners can be of all ages and backgrounds.
This login-based plugin is the considered the best course in the LMS industry. For instance, lets you create a distraction-free online environment. This is hard to do and essential for many learners. You also control who can access courses and for how long.
You can also set up permissions for videos, study materials, assignments, and more. Additionally, LearnDash lets you award certificates and badges, which can boost user engagement.
- One-time payment or subscription courses
- Integrates with popular payment gateways and marketing apps
- Course and group management
- Detailed reporting on enrollment, performance, and progress
- Robust LMS capacity
- Basic: $159 per year
- Plus: $189 per year
- Pro: $329 per year
bbPress is a forum software by the same team that made WordPress. This plugin requires WP users to log in. Then, you can redirect users to a custom URL.
You can add members to forums, which you moderate. This allows them to have a community that shares ideas while you keep an eye out for things like hate speech.
- Simple set up and installation
- Easy to moderate and clean forums
- Integrated admin area
- Create multisite forms to divide the audience
- Translated into 54 locales’ languages
Which Is the Best WordPress Membership Plugin?
We determined MemberPress is the best WordPress membership plugin.
MemberPress is the most comprehensive option. It has tons of features and excellent documentation and support.
That said, our favorite may not be the right one for you. That’s okay! You know your business best.
Do you want more resources? Check out these other posts:
- How to Cloak Affiliate Links in WordPress for More Sales
- 13 Benefits of Email Marketing: Why (and How) to Grow Your List
- 9 Best Push Notification Tools for WordPress (Compared)
Those articles have extra information on expanding and monetizing your WordPress site.