Welcome! OptinMonster makes it easy to create your first campaign and start converting traffic into leads and customers.
In this article, you’ll learn how to create your first OptinMonster campaign.
Before You Start
Here are some things to know before you begin:
- This guide starts with creating a Lightbox popup campaign. If you’re interested in learning how to create other types of campaigns see our dedicated guides for creating Fullscreen, Floating Bar, Inline and Slide-In campaigns.
- As you use the campaign builder you’ll notice many options have a question mark icon. Selecting the question mark icon will show you more information about what that option controls or how to use a specific tool.
Create a Campaign
The first step is to create a new campaign following this guide. After you’ve created a new campaign, the next task is to customize the campaign.
When the campaign builder first opens it will show the Design tab. From this screen, select the Display Settings link in the sidebar.
In this section, you can modify your campaign’s title (internal use) and configure your campaign-specific cookies. If you’re not sure what values to specify, the default values for your campaign are a good place to start.
Design Your Campaign
There are many different ways you can build your campaign, including different views. Check out the Builder overview guide here to learn more about the layout of the builder.
You can edit the title and the wording of your campaign by clicking on the content in the preview you want to modify, then editing the wording in the left sidebar.
Customize the Form Fields
If you’re using one of our native Email Service Provider integrations you will have the option to customize the form fields in the Design panel of the campaign builder.
- Since you can click to edit the fields, as discussed in the Builder overview, you can click on the existing Email Field to open the settings for the form fields in the left sidebar.
- Once this is open you can customize the existing fields or add additional fields such as Name, Phone, etc.
Form Success Action
You can customize what action happens after the campaign’s form is successfully submitted. In this step we’ll edit the Success Action.
- From the Design tab view, directly select one of the form fields in your campaign to view the options available in the left sidebar.
- In the left sidebar, select the Button tab.
- Next, select the Action tab.
- From here, you can configure the success action for the form. For more information, see our guide on how to use actions for success.
Before your campaign can collect leads you’ll need to connect an Integration.
- To begin, select the Integrations tab from the top menu.
- When you click Add New Integration, you can select from a list of our native integrations. We connect with most major Email Service Providers, Zapier, our internal storage option Monster Leads, and offer a Custom HTML integration option so you can add your own custom form code.
- Select the Email Provider dropdown to choose the Email Service Provider you wish to use for your campaign. Follow the steps for the selected integration to connect your campaign. Looking for a specific guide?
Next, you can configure when and where your campaign appears on your site using the Display Rules.
The Display Rules area is one of the most powerful features of OptinMonster. There are countless display rule configurations you can create.
The best thing about OptinMonster’s Display Rules is that you can add very simple or complex rules based on your own specific needs.
- Select the Display Rules tab from the top menu to open this view in the campaign builder:
- For now, leave the default option of After ‘X’ seconds. The default is a time delay of 5 seconds, which is a great place to start.
- Also leave the default option to show on every page where the embed code is supplied (ie: where the embed code is present in the source code of the page).
This means that if the campaign embed code is loading in the template file of every page of your site, then your campaign will show up on every page of your site after 5 seconds have passed.
For a more customized setup, please see our display rules guide for more details.
OptinMonster allows you to connect your campaigns to Google Analytics for more advanced analytics data. This step is optional if you only want very basic analytics data (impressions and conversions).
- Select the Analytics tab from the top menu.
- For Google Analytics, click Connect.
- If you have already connected your Google Analytics, simply select your account from the Google Analytics Account dropdown.
However, since this is likely your first campaign, you can follow the onscreen prompts by selecting the Add a new Google Connection option.
For a detailed walk-through, check out our guide to Google Analytics.
Publish the Campaign
When you create a new campaign, it’s Paused by default.
- Open the Publish tab from the top menu and here you will see the Publish Options.
- Select the Publish Status toggle to make your campaign Live.
- Finally, Save your campaign by clicking the Save button in the top-right of the Builder.
The Publish view also contains the Website field where you can adjust the domain where your campaign will show if you need to.
Embed the Campaign
The only thing left to do is embed the campaign on your site and begin converting visitors!
You will find the embed code also on the Publish page under the Platform section. The Any Website embed code should be utilized for most websites and platforms. Check out our platform guides for more details.
Want to get the most out of OptinMonster? See these ridiculously simple ways to get more email subscribers!