In this article, you’ll learn how campaign and global cookies work and how to set cookies for your campaigns.
Before You Start
Here are some things to know before you begin:
- Campaign cookies control the individual campaign you’re editing.
- Global cookies control all campaigns on your site and can be used to override the campaign cookies.
When you create a campaign in OptinMonster you can choose how often the campaign appears to visitors by configuring the campaign cookies.
To configure campaign cookies, follow these steps:
- In the campaign builder, navigate to the Display Settings.
- In the side panel you’ll find two campaign cookie settings: has been closed and has been converted. The third cookie setting is specifically for use with MonsterChains.
Each of the campaign cookie settings will allow you to choose one of the following:
- After x days
- On their next visit to the site
- Anytime the display rules are met
Global cookies are specific to a registered site in your account and control all campaigns embedded on that site.
To configure global cookies, follow these steps:
- From the OptinMonster Dashboard, navigate to My Account through the user icon in the top-right corner of the page.
- Next, select Sites from the sub-navigation.
- On the Sites screen, locate the site you want to configure global cookies for and select the Edit button.
- On the site edit screen, you’ll be able to configure the global cookies.
The Global Interaction Cookie is set after any campaign on your site has been closed by the visitor. Once this cookie is set no campaigns will appear on your site for the visitor until the cookie expires.
The Global Success Cookie is set after any campaign is successfully converted. Once this cookie is set no campaigns will appear on your site for the visitor until the cookie expires.
To disable either cookie option, set the number of days to zero (0).
The following is an example of how you can use the campaign and global cookie options together.
- Campaign cookies: after 1 days
- Global Success Cookie: 90 days.
In this setup, you give the visitor an opportunity to convert through the campaign once-a-day. After the visitor has converted they won’t see any campaigns again for 90 days.
Are you showing the same campaign on a top-level domain and subdomain?
Check out our article on how to make campaign cookies persist across subdomains.
Where can I view all cookies set?
See our full Cookie List for details on how cookies are named and used.