In this article, you’ll learn how campaign and global cookies work and how to set cookies for your campaigns.
Before You Start
Here are some things to know before you begin:
- A cookie is a small file stored on your computer that provides information.
- Campaign cookies control the individual campaign you’re editing.
- Global cookies control all campaigns on your site and can be used to override the campaign cookies.
Edit Campaign Cookies
When you create a campaign in OptinMonster you can choose how often the campaign appears to visitors by configuring the campaign cookies.
To configure campaign cookies, follow these steps:
- In the Design view of the campaign builder, select the Settings icon.
- Next, from the Basic tab of the sidebar expand the Display Settings option and you’ll find two campaign cookie settings: has been closed and has been converted.
- Adjust the cookie settings as desired.
- When you’re finished, click Save.
Campaign Cookie Options
Each of the campaign cookie settings will allow you to choose one of the following:
After x days
The campaign will not appear again until the number of days set has passed. A day consists of 24 hours.
On their next visit to the site
This setting uses session cookies to show the campaign only on the next visit to the site.
When testing this setting, you will need to quit the browser application fully to allow the cookie to expire, then revisit the website before the campaign can appear again.
Any time the display rules are met
This setting will allow the campaign to appear repeatedly as long as the Display Rules are met.
Global cookies are specific to a registered site in your account and control all campaigns embedded on that site.
To configure global cookies, follow these steps:
- From the OptinMonster Dashboard, navigate to My Account through the user icon in the top-right corner of the page.
- Next, select Sites from the sub-navigation.
- On the Sites screen, locate the site you want to configure global cookies for and select the Edit button.
- On the site edit screen, you’ll be able to configure the global cookies.
Global Cookie Options
The Global Interaction Cookie is set after any campaign on your site has been closed by the visitor. Once this cookie is set no campaigns will appear on your site for the visitor until the cookie expires.
The Global Success Cookie is set after any campaign is successfully converted. Once this cookie is set no campaigns will appear on your site for the visitor until the cookie expires.
To disable either cookie option, set the number of days to zero (0).
The following is an example of how you can use the campaign and global cookie options together.
- Campaign cookies: after 1 days
- Global Success Cookie: 90 days.
In this setup, you give the visitor an opportunity to convert through the campaign once-a-day. After the visitor has converted they won’t see any campaigns again for 90 days.
If you’re serious about jumpstarting your website growth, then get started with OptinMonster today!
Our conversion experts will design 1 free campaign for you to get maximum results – absolutely FREE! Click here to get started →
My cookie setting changes aren’t working.
Be sure to test from a brand new Incognito window (aka private browsing session) OR manually clear the cookies from your browser before re-testing a campaign. This will ensure any previously set cookies are removed so the campaign can appear according to the new cookie settings you’ve saved.
Are you showing the same campaign on a top-level domain and subdomain?
Check out our article on how to make campaign cookies persist across subdomains.
Where can I view all cookies set?
See our Cookie List for details on how cookies are named and used.
Why is there a third cookie setting in the Display Settings section?
The third cookie setting is specifically for use with MonsterChains.