OptinMonster makes it easy to connect with your Shopify store to capture leads.
In this article, you’ll learn how to connect OptinMonster with Shopify.
Before You Start
Here are some things to know before you begin:
- Our Shopify app requires a Growth subscription.
- Using the Shopify app to connect OptinMonster with your Shopify store will provide you with additional targeting options in the Display Rules.
- It is essential that you are logged into your OptinMonster account before you install the OptinMonster Shopify app, if you already have a paid account.
- If you are using a custom domain for your Shopify site it is essential that your OptinMonster campaign be assigned to two domains: the Shopify admin domain AND the pretty domain. More details.
Install the Shopify App
You can easily connect OptinMonster with your Shopify store using our native Shopify app.
To install the Shopify app, follow these steps:
- If you don’t already have a Growth subscription, purchase or upgrade to Growth.
- Log into your OptinMonster account. This step ensures the OptinMonster Shopify App can automatically sync to your OptinMonster account on installation.
- Next, open a new browser tab and log into your Shopify store.
- Once you’re logged in, navigate to the Shopify App Store. Here you’ll search for “OptinMonster” to locate our app.
- Click on the OptinMonster app from the search results. On the next screen, select Add app to install the OptinMonster app in your store.
- You’ll be prompted again, once you’ve read the permissions requested by our app select the Install app button.
- The OptinMonster app will be automatically installed on your Shopify store and sync with your OptinMonster account.
A Growth subscription plan is required to fully utilize the OptinMonster Shopify App. Learn more about what you can expect if you install the OptinMonster Shopify App without the required subscription plan here.
Once you’ve connected Shopify with OptinMonster you’ll have additional options available in the campaign builder’s Display Rules.
You can use these additional options to hide or show campaigns based on Shopify-specific conditions.
Campaign Builder Display Rules
The following Display Rules are available through the campaign builder:
- Shopify Cart Total
Show based on the total cost of the items in your visitor’s cart.
- Shopify Cart Subtotal
Show based on the subtotal cost of the items in your visitor’s cart.
- Shopify Cart Contains
Show if your visitor has specific products in their cart.
- Shopify Product Targeting
Show if your visitor is viewing a specific product.
- # of Items in Shopify Cart
Show if your visitor has a specific number of items in their cart.
Frequently Asked Questions
I’m not an OptinMonster customer yet, should I sign up through the app?
There are two ways to become an OptinMonster customer when using the Shopify app:
- You can subscribe directly through our website — you will be billed directly by OptinMonster.
- You can subscribe through the Shopify app when prompted during the app installation process — you will be billed monthly for a Growth plan directly by Shopify.
There is no difference in the plan features with either approach, we recommend you choose the option that best fits your billing preferences.
Do I need to manually add my Shopify store domain to my OptinMonster account?
If the domain hasn’t already been added before you installed the OptinMonster App on your Shopify store, it will be automatically added.
What domain do I enter when creating my OptinMonster campaigns?
You’ll enter the unique domain assigned to your Shopify store, which will be formatted similar to:
If you are using a custom domain for your Shopify store it’s necessary to assign two domains to each campaign:
- the unique domain assigned to your Shopify store, similar to:
- AND the custom domain
- In the Publish view of the campaign builder, be sure the domain is listed under the Websites section. Click Add a website if your domain isn’t already assigned to the campaign to select and add it.
- When you’re finished, click Save.
I was already using a campaign-specific or site-wide embed code in my Shopify theme’s templates. What should I do?
After you have completed all of the instructions above, you can safely remove any previous embed codes you placed in your theme templates.
What to expect if you install the OptinMonster Shopify App without the required subscription plan.
To fully utilize the OptinMonster Shopify App you will need a Growth subscription.
Installing the app without a Growth subscription will result in a prompt to start a free trial. If you start a free trial through the app this will override any previous subscription plan you may already have active in your account and you will then be billed by Shopify directly instead of OptinMonster.
Instead, we recommend you upgrade your subscription through OptinMonster directly before installing the OptinMonster Shopify App. You can upgrade your OptinMonster account here.
Being prompted to sign up for a free trial in the OptinMonster Shopify App and already have a Growth subscription.
This indicates that you are not yet logged into your OptinMonster account from the same browser window.
We recommend uninstalling the OptinMonster app, logging into your OptinMonster account from a new tab in the same browser, then reinstalling the OptinMonster app.
If you’re serious about jumpstarting your eCommerce business growth, then get started with OptinMonster today!
Our conversion experts will design 1 free campaign for you to get maximum results – absolutely FREE! Click here to get started →