You’ve been sold a big, fat lie.
For years you’ve probably heard that lightbox popups are the worst thing you could possibly put on your website.
That couldn’t be further from the truth.
In fact, an email optin in the form of a lightbox popup is one of the best plugins you could add your website.
Here are a few of the common misconceptions:
- A lightbox popup will make your bounce rate skyrocket.
- Lightbox popups will irritate your site visitors.
- Popups discourage users from returning.
It may feel like you’d irritate and annoy visitors by capturing emails through a lightbox popup on your website, but the facts prove otherwise.
Smart Lightbox Popups with Exit Intent
Lightbox popups using exit-intent technology open when a user shows an intent to close the window or move to another page.
The reason lightbox popups with exit-intent don’t annoy users is because they only show when the user is going to leave anyway. It’s a last ditch effort to convert visitors who intend to abandon your website. And it works.
Many visitors who show exit intent will convert to email subscribers when given the option of an email optin.
So, how does OptinMonster determine exit intent?
OptinMonster tracks the mouse movement of every visitor on your website. When a user’s mouse gestures quickly to the top of the page — as if to close the window — the smart lightbox popup appears.
The popup doesn’t prevent the user from leaving your website. He or she can close the window without interacting with the popup — which prevents the “annoyance” factor.
Lightbox popups with exit-intent provide you one last interaction before a visitor leaves your site. In fact, it acts a lot like an additional page view. It’s important to remember you’re not bothering a user by offering something they may be interested in. You’re providing them the opportunity to receive emails from you and regularly read content they enjoy.
Why Smart Lightbox Popups Capture More Emails
You know how important it is to capture email addresses and utilize email marketing for your business. But what’s the best way to grow your email list, build a significant audience and convert more users?
Smart lightbox popups. Here’s why:
- Visibility. Instead of making it easy for users to sign up for emails, email optin forms are often hidden or placed casually in the sidebar. Smart lightbox popups with exit-intent enabled display your message and email optin form every time a user goes to leave the page. This ensures that 100% of your users are provided the opportunity to sign up for email updates, receive free tips or download your latest ebook.
- Prominence. Most websites prominently display social media icons and drive users to like and follow their content on various platforms. Due to the emphasis on social media, these websites miss out on a big part of online marketing: capturing emails. With a lightbox popup, the rest of the screen becomes darker and the user’s eye automatically goes to read your message and view the email signup form. You remove distractions and make it clear what the user should do next.
- A clear call to action. Even if a visitor enjoys reading your content, he or she will eventually leave your website — often without signing up to have your content delivered directly to their email inbox. The problem is most website pages lack a clear call to action. A lightbox popup clearly defines the call to action by directly asking users to signup for your emails.
If you’re like most people skeptical of popups, you want to see proof that smart lightbox popups really work. Take a look at these results:
Yoast Doubles Subscribers Using Lightbox Optins
Yoast’s OptinMonster setup included:
- An exit-intent popup that used our Clean Slate theme
- A mobile popup using the Clean Slate mobile theme
- A content upgrade MonsterLink which also uses the Clean Slate theme
“I was once a disbeliever myself. I didn’t like popups at all. But the results speak for themselves, it just works. OptinMonster makes it super easy and is well worth the money.” – Joost
TemplateMonster Increased their Subscribers by 600%
Over a period of just 7 months, TemplateMonster attracted 12,000 new subscribers by their use of a lightbox optin from OptinMonster.
Along with the growth of the subscriber base, the percentage of conversion reached 2.4% compared to 0.4-1.1% that the default subscription form produced.
What’s more important is that they used our native MailChimp integration to easily segment their email list into groups for sending weekly newsletters.
Do you like seeing what others have accomplished with OptinMonster? Our ever-growing collection of case studies show the amazing results possible when using smart lightbox optins, with and without exit-intent.
Capture more emails today!
No need to lose customers because of outdated practices. Get started using lightbox popups today with OptinMonster and capture more emails immediately! OptinMonster — your #1 WordPress plugin for email capturing and lead generation!