When you’re using the OptinMonster WordPress plugin, you can configure the Output Settings to control where your campaigns appear on the site. This option expands the functionality of our Display Rules to give you even more powerful targeting.
In this article, you’ll learn how to use the OptinMonster WordPress plugin’s Output Settings to control where your campaigns appear.
Before You Start
Here are some things to know before you begin:
- This guide assumes you’ve already installed and connected the OptinMonster WordPress plugin.
- If you’re configuring an Inline type campaign, we recommend you also follow our guide for embedding Inline campaigns on your site.
To configure the Output Settings for your OptinMonster campaign, follow these steps:
- Log into the WordPress admin of your site.
- Next, navigate to the OptinMonster > Campaigns screen.
- From the Campaigns screen, locate the campaign you wish to configure and select the Output Settings link.
- The Output Settings screen will look similar to the following for any popup type campaign (e.g. Lightbox, Fullscreen, Floating Bar, Slide-in).
WordPress Output Settings
On the left, you’ll find the Output Settings options. If you are using the MailPoet plugin on your site, that option to save leads will appear first. If you are configuring an Inline type campaign the Automatic or Manual embed options will appear next.
The Advanced Settings options allow you to limit where on the site your campaign is embedded if you wish to do so. If no option is configured in this panel the campaign will be embedded on all pages of your site by default, and only the Display Rules configured in the app will control where your campaign appears on the site.
All options are connected with OR statements, meaning if any one of the conditions configured is true the campaign will be embedded there.
If you have connected the WooCommerce plugin with OptinMonster you will also see options in this panel for targeting WooCommerce-specific templates.
Visibility & Status
On the right, you’ll find options to show the campaign only to visitors who are logged-in or logged-out of your site.
You’ll also find the option to change the Publish status of the campaign within WordPress.
Display Rules Summary
In this section on the right, you’ll find a summary of the Display Rules you’ve configured within the OptinMonster campaign builder.
Because the Output Settings and Display Rules control different functions it’s possible to configure them in a way that conflicts and prevents the campaign from appearing at all. This summary is provided to assist in the configuration of your campaign so you can easily ensure both settings work together to accomplish your targeting goals.
What’s the difference between the Output Settings in the plugin and the Display Rules in the app?
The Output Settings of the WordPress plugin control where the campaign’s embed code is added to your site.
The Display Rules in the app control where the campaign has permission to appear, if the embed code is also present on the same page.
If you do not configure any settings in the Output Settings the campaign’s embed code will be added to the entire site when published, and only the Display Rules will control how the campaign can appear to visitors.
As an example, if you configure the Output Settings to add the campaign’s embed code only to the homepage of your site and configure the Display Rules in the app to show the campaign on any page except the homepage, the campaign would never appear to any visitors because the two conditions conflict. The embed code has only been added to the homepage, and the Display Rules do not give the campaign permission to appear on the homepage.
What is the point of the Output Settings if I can control where the campaign appears using the Display Rules?
There are some targeting options that can be accomplished more easily and within the Output Settings of the campaign, which the Output Settings in the plugin make very easy.
For example, if you wish to show a campaign on all single blog posts but the Permalink settings do not add any identifying information to the URL the Display Rules would not be able to effectively target those posts on your site. However, you can use the Output Settings to accomplish this targeting by toggling Single Posts like this:
I’ve published the campaign through the OptinMonster app but it’s not showing on my WordPress site.
The most common reasons a campaign my not appear include:
- A cookie has been set in your browser from previously testing the campaign. Please try testing from a brand new Incognito window to see if that resolves the issue.
- Site caching needs to be cleared. If you’re using a plugin or server-side caching be sure to clear the site cache to see if that resolves the issue.
- Not Published in the OptinMonster WordPress plugin yet. Be sure you’ve also updated the publish status through the OptinMonster WordPress plugin.
This can be done from the Output Settings screen:
Or from the OptinMonster > Campaigns screen.