OptinMonster makes it easy to target campaigns to visitors who are coming to your site for the first time, or are returning from a previous session. Show special offers for first-time visitors, or welcome back returning visitors with a separate offer.
In this article, you’ll learn how to target campaigns to appear for only new or returning visitors to your site.
Before You Start
Here are some things to know before you begin:
- Targeting New or Returning Visitors requires a Growth subscription.
- OptinMonster uses specific cookies set in the browser to determine if a visitor is new or returning to your site. We use two cookies set in the browser to determine the visitor type.
_omappvp— is for “Visitor Persistent,” and remains in the visitor’s browser until their cookies are cleared.
_omappvs— is for “Visitor Session,” and expires after 10 minutes of inactivity.
If neither cookie exists, we know the visitor is new. If only the
_omappvpcookie exists, we know the visitor is returning.
Target New or Returning Visitors
Targeting campaigns to new or returning visitors allows you to personalize your campaigns for each group and their activity.
To show a campaign to new or returning visitors, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Display Rules View in the campaign builder.
- Select the Edit button in the Summary view of your campaign’s Display Rules to modify them.
- Select the + Add button to add an AND rule, or the + Add a New ‘OR’ Rule button to add an OR rule.
- Click on the Select Rule field and select Personalization from the sub-menu options.
- Select “New Visitor” or “Returning Visitor” from the menu, based on which type of visitor you would like to display this campaign to.
Only include one of these display rules in your campaign’s display rules. If you would like for a campaign to show for both new and returning visitors, you can remove these rules, and the campaign will show to any visitor that meets the remaining display rules.
- When you are finished, click Save.
How do I test my campaign using these rules?
Testing New Visitor:
- Clear your browser’s cookies before testing any campaign configured to show only to new visitors. This will be sure that neither the
_omappvscookie exist in the browser, indicating to OptinMonster that you are a new visitor.
- Visit your website or page where the campaign should appear.
Testing Returning Visitor:
- Visit a page of your site where any campaign is set to appear. This allows OptinMonster to set both cookies in the browser.
- Next, leave the site for 10 minutes, after which the session cookie will self-delete.
- Finally, re-open your browser and navigate back to your site or page where your campaign should appear for returning visitors.