Do you want to create targeted campaigns towards new or returning visitors? With OptinMonster, its easy! Follow this guide to learn how to use OptinMonster’s new vs. returning targeting feature.
- What is the New vs. Returning Rule?
- How to Use the New vs. Returning Rule
What is the New vs. Returning Rule?
The New vs. Returning rule lets you target your campaign to visitors who are either new and visiting your website for the first time, or who are returning and have been to your website before.
OptinMonster uses specific cookies set in the browser to determine if a visitor is new or returning to your site. Specifically, two cookies are set in the browser that we use to determine the visitor type:
_omappvp— is for visitor persistent
_omappvs— is for visitor session
If neither cookie exists, we know the visitor is new. If only the
_omappvp cookie exists, we know the visitor is returning.
How to Use the New vs. Returning Rule?
You will find the New vs. Returning rule under the Who should see this campaign? section of the Display Rules.
You’ll be able to configure the campaign to show to either New OR Returning visitors.
Show to New Visitors
To show your campaign only to new visitors, select is new from the dropdown:
Show to Returning Visitors
To show your campaign only to returning visitors, select is returning from the dropdown:
Looking for more information about advanced page targeting? See our article on how page-level targeting helps you generate more leads.
Q: How do I test my campaign using these rules?
A: Excellent question!
Testing New Visitor:
- Clear your browser’s cookies before testing any campaign configured to show only to new visitors. This will be sure that neither the
_omappvscookie exist in the browser, indicating to OptinMonster that you are a new visitor.
- Alternatively, you can open a new Chrome incognito window in place of clearing your browser cookies.
Testing Returning Visitor:
- Visit a page of your site where an campaign is embedded to appear, allowing OptinMonster to set both cookies in the browser.
- Next, quit your browser program completely which will end the session and clear one of the cookies that OptinMonster sets.
- Finally, re-open your browser program and navigate back to your site to test the appearance of any campaign configured to show only to returning visitors.
What can I expect when testing from Mobile devices?
A: Due to browser inconsistency, you may experience inconsistent behavior when testing the Returning visitor rule from various mobile devices. You can expect the following when testing on mobile:
- On iOS with Safari the session cookie will expire whenever you switch apps.
- On Android with Chrome the session cookie doesn’t expire when you close the browser.