OptinMonster makes it easy to target campaigns to visitors who are coming to your site for the first time, or are returning from a previous session. Show special offers for first-time visitors, or welcome back returning visitors with a separate offer.
In this article, you’ll learn how to target campaigns to appear for only new or returning visitors to your site.
Before you start, Targeting New or Returning Visitors requires a Growth subscription.
OptinMonster uses specific cookies set in the browser to determine if a visitor is new or returning to your site. We use two cookies set in the browser to determine the visitor type.
_omappvp— is for “Visitor Persistent,” and remains in the visitor’s browser until their cookies are cleared.
_omappvs— is for “Visitor Session,” and expires after 20 minutes of inactivity.
If neither cookie exists, we know the visitor is new. If only the
_omappvpcookie exists, we know the visitor is returning.
By default, all campaigns show to both new and returning visitors. You should only configure this rule if you would like to target new OR returning visitors, not both.
Target New or Returning Visitors
Targeting campaigns to new or returning visitors allows you to personalize your campaigns for each group and their activity.
To show a campaign to new or returning visitors, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Display Rules view in the campaign builder.
- Next, when adding or editing a rule select OnSite Retargeting from the left-hand list and select the New Visitor or Returning Visitor option.By default, all campaigns show to both new and returning visitors. You should only configure this rule if you would like to target new OR returning visitors, not both.
- When you are finished, Save the campaign.
How do I test my campaign using these rules?
Testing New Visitor:
- Clear your browser’s cookies before testing any campaign configured to show only to new visitors. This will be sure that neither the
_omappvscookie exists in the browser, indicating to OptinMonster that you are a new visitor.
- Visit your website or page where the campaign should appear.
Testing Returning Visitor:
- Visit a page of your site where any campaign is set to appear. This allows OptinMonster to set both cookies in the browser.
- Next, leave the site for 20 minutes, after which the session cookie will self-delete.
- Finally, re-open your browser and navigate back to your site or page where your campaign should appear for returning visitors.
If you’re serious about jumpstarting your eCommerce business growth, then get started with OptinMonster today!
Our conversion experts will design 1 free campaign for you to get maximum results – absolutely FREE! Click here to get started →