OptinMonster makes it easy to target campaigns to visitors who are physically located in a specific region, from as big as a country to as small as a particular city. Highly targeted campaigns yield higher conversions over non-targeted, general campaigns.
In this article, you’ll learn how to target campaigns to a location using the Geo-Location rule.
Before You Start
Here are some things to know before you begin:
- Geo-Location Targeting requires a Growth subscription.
- The Geo-Location Display Rule determines the visitor’s physical location based on their device’s IP Address.
- Geo-Location can be used to run promotions or display announcements that are only relevant to specific areas of the world.
- Geo-Location can be helpful when displaying different languages or currencies that are region-specific, depending on where the visitor is located at the time they see the campaign.
Add the Geo-Location Rule
Geo-Location Targeting allows you to personalize your campaigns based on your visitor’s location.
To add Geo-Location Targeting to any campaign, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Display Rules view in the campaign builder.
- When adding a new rule, select Physical Location from the Targeting menu.
- Target or exclude a location by choosing either “is” or “is not” in the second box in the rule.
- Next, type the name of the location you want to target and select the Validate button.
- A popup window will appear on the screen providing possible matches to the name of the location you entered. Click on the correct location from the list.
- When you are finished, click Save.
Once you’ve configured Geo-Location you’ll want to test the appearance of your campaign.
If you are not physically located where your campaign is configured to appear, you can ‘fake’ the location by modifying the URL of the page you visit on your site.
To do this, add the query argument
?omip=IP_ADDRESS to the end of the URL you are testing, and replace
IP_ADDRESS with an IP Address that matches the physical location you are testing.
For example, if I wanted to test the appearance of a campaign for visitors physically located in Hawaii, the URL modification might look like this:
How can I find an IP Address for the physical location I want to test?
Using your preferred search engine, use the term “LOCATION ip address” replacing ‘LOCATION’ with the name of the physical location you are testing.
Can I target only EU countries (GDPR)?
Yes, you can include or exclude a campaign from appearing to visitors located in countries that are members of the EU (those who are protected by GDPR).
If you’re serious about jumpstarting your website business growth, then get started with OptinMonster today!
Our conversion experts will design 1 free campaign for you to get maximum results – absolutely FREE! Click here to get started →