Do you want to create targeted campaigns towards new or returning visitors? With OptinMonster, its easy! Follow this guide to learn how to use OptinMonster’s new vs. returning targeting feature.
- Create or Edit a Campaign
- Configure the New vs Returning Display Rule
- Embed the Campaign
Step 1 – Create or Edit a Campaign
To begin, create a campaign or select one to edit that you would like to configure the new vs returning Display Rule for.
Step 2 – Configure the New vs Returning Display Rule
Next, navigate to the Display Rules screen in the campaign Builder to begin configuring new vs. returning display rule for your campaign.
In the Display Rules screen, scroll down to the Visitors who are new vs. returning section and select it to expand the view. Once expanded you’ll be able make the rule active.
You’ll be able to configure the campaign to show to either New OR Returning visitors.
Show to New Visitors
To show your campaign only to new visitors, select is new from the dropdown:
Show to Returning Visitors
To show your campaign only to returning visitors, select is returning from the dropdown:
Step 3 – Embed the Campaign
Finally, you’ll want to embed your campaigns on your site.
Check out our platform guides for more details.
Looking for more information about advanced page targeting? See our article on how page-level targeting helps you generate more leads.
Q: How does this feature work?
A: OptinMonster uses specific cookies set in the browser to determine if a visitor is new or returning to your site. Specifically, two cookies are set in the browser that we use to determine the visitor type:
_omappvp— is for visitor persistent
_omappvs— is for visitor session
If neither cookie exists, we know the visitor is new. If only the
_omappvp cookie exists, we know the visitor is returning.
Q: How do I test my campaign using these rules?
A: Excellent question!
Testing New Visitor:
- Clear your browser’s cookies before testing any campaign configured to show only to new visitors. This will be sure that neither the
_omappvscookie exist in the browser, indicating to OptinMonster that you are a new visitor.
- Alternatively, you can open a new Chrome incognito window in place of clearing your browser cookies.
Testing Returning Visitor:
- Visit a page of your site where an campaign is embedded to appear, allowing OptinMonster to set both cookies in the browser.
- Next, quit your browser program completely which will end the session and clear one of the cookies that OptinMonster sets.
- Finally, re-open your browser program and navigate back to your site to test the appearance of any campaign configured to show only to returning visitors.
What can I expect when testing from Mobile devices?
A: Due to browser inconsistency, you may experience inconsistent behavior when testing the Returning visitor rule from various mobile devices. You can expect the following when testing on mobile:
- On iOS with Safari the session cookie will expire whenever you switch apps.
- On Android with Chrome the session cookie doesn’t expire when you close the browser.